in

Eclipse Logbook

Customer discussion and support areas

Pre-Trip vs Post-Trip

Last post 08-15-2015 2:07 PM by Anonymous. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2012 11:36 AM

Pre-Trip vs Post-Trip

Auditor says Post Trips are needed at the end of the day...showing 15 minutes minimum on line 4..not Pre-trip. I beg to differ but I have an on going arguement going on here. Can you help?
  • 09-14-2012 4:57 PM In reply to

• RyanT
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-13-2011
    • Points 3,462

Re: Pre-Trip vs Post-Trip

Hello, I am not aware of any FMCSA rule that says a driver must log 15 mins at the end of the day. However there are State rules that do require a driver to log the 15 mins for the post trip. Also a company could also have their drivers put the 15 mins off at the end of their log for post trip. Here is a link to the FMCSA: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=396.11 Hope this helps.
  • 08-15-2015 2:07 PM In reply to

Re: Pre-Trip vs Post-Trip

This is a non-issue after the DVIR change of Dec 2014. No DVIR report is needed, if no faults are found. But let's say a written report was needed. It will be done at the end of the driver's tour that day, which could end early at 9am or after 11pm. It could end the following day because he was driving from 9pm to 4am. FMCSA has no time constraint as to 15, 30, 45 minutes to perform a DVIR (Interstate Drivers). The rule just requires it to be performed. When performing this inspection & writing the report you are stopped so you log on duty not driving, line 4. (By the way: you log where you are (City & the State..state is abbreviated or your location then nearest city & state). You do not log what you are doing there...."Post Trip Inspection /PTI".) Food for thought: I could technically move from line 3, driving, to line 1 or 2 (OD or SB) & still have completed a DVIR. Why, Part 395 Interpretations allow a driver to flag duty status location without moving out of my current status line or having to drop into another status line ...like ...(4) if the function was less than 15 minutes. Go read the interps. I chose not to tell you what Interp number because: everything in life will not be handed to you.....plus, you will learn as you go. Michael, Safety Consultant USDOT-FMCSA (Ret) DOT Rescue Laredo, TX
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
© 2007-2008 Eclipse Software Systems Inc.     Terms of Use | Privacy Policy